Modern Kenmore brand refrigerators are high-tech equipment, the uninterrupted operation of which allows you to have stocks of fresh food and ice cubes for drinks throughout the year. Despite its manufacturability and operational reliability, there comes a time when this equipment also fails and requires qualified repair. If a Kenmore refrigeration appliance has stopped producing ice, the cause of the problem may be due to various factors. The most frequent are the following:
- the ice maker is out of order, which creates ice cubes;
- failure of the inlet valve for water;
- the filter element for the water entering the system is clogged;
- there are problems with the fan;
- thermostat shutdown, fluid leak from water hoses;
- clogged drain, improper operation of the refrigeration device;
- insufficient water pressure;
- The freezing temperature mode is set incorrectly.
Before calling a specialist or trying to troubleshoot and fix it yourself, it is recommended to check the water pressure. It may be that the equipment of the refrigerator is fully functional, but it does not produce ice due to lack of water pressure. To check the pressure, you need to take a pressure gauge and connect it to a water pressure hose, the water pressure should not be lower than 1.4 bar.
Proper fan troubleshooting
One of the most common reasons why the freezer stops working and the ice maker stops making ice is a broken fan. After a certain period of operation, a thick layer of frost begins to form on the evaporator coils. Turning into ice, frozen water begins to block the operation of the fan, which leads to problems with the entire cooling system.
The main task of the fan is to circulate cold air flows through the freezer compartment. If his work is blocked, then he is no longer able to cool the freezer to the desired temperature. It turns out to be quite simple – to check for ice on the coils, the protective panel is removed, which is located at the back of the freezer compartment. If an ice coating appears on the evaporator coils, you can get rid of it using a household hair dryer.
The second option for a fan malfunction
It is also possible that the fan is not iced up, but does not work at all. If the fan blows out or the refrigerator motor fails, cold air will stop circulating through the freezer and everything will melt. At the same time, sometimes you can hear the strained sound of turning the fan motor on and off, if the engine is not heard for a long time, it means that the power unit has burned out and needs to be replaced, it is not advisable to repair it. The problem may be caused by the fact that the wires going to the fan are not giving it enough electricity (if the motor is running normally). You need to check the wires and replace them if necessary.
Repair or replacement of the ice maker
The ice maker, which is installed on the refrigeration equipment of the Kenmore range, is distinguished by a complex technical device. In fact, this is a “refrigerator in a refrigerator”, the main operational purpose of which is not to cool food, but to produce and accurately dispense food ice cubes. Incorrect operation of the ice maker adversely affects the operating efficiency of the entire refrigerator. Therefore, self-repair of this device is strictly contraindicated if you do not have technical skills and the nuances of complex repair work.
The main problem, which excludes the possibility of self-restoration of the ice generator’s working functions, is that for competent diagnosis and removal of a breakdown, special equipment and devices are needed, which are available only in the arsenal of an experienced master. Problems with the ice maker can arise for three main reasons – a power failure; coolant leak; blockage of the capillary tube. The specialist called to the house, to repair the ice machine, must perform the following sequence of actions:
- Shutdown of water access to the refrigeration appliance and power supply;
- Release of the refrigeration compartment around the ice generator to provide a comfortable workplace;
- Unscrewing the fixing bolts that fix the ice maker in place;
- The device is carefully removed from the refrigerator, while the bundle of wires is released;
- The wiring harness is disconnected from the refrigeration equipment;
- The damaged ice maker is replaced with a new one.
Recommendation! When installing a new ice cube generator, you need to start the installation by connecting a bundle of wires in the same way that the failed one had. After securely fastening the wires, the ice maker is installed in its original place. After installing a new icemaker and turning on the refrigeration unit, you need to give the icemaker a couple of hours so that it has time to stabilize the internal temperature balance. As soon as the refrigerator is well frozen, the ice maker will restore all its working capabilities.
Inlet valve cleaning
A clogged inlet valve on Kenmore brand refrigerators is another common reason why the unit stops making food ice. If cloudy water begins to come out of the refrigerator dispenser, this indicates that it is time to clean the water supply line that supplies liquid to the icemaker. To clean the valve from blockage and debris, do the following:
- The refrigerator is disconnected from the mains, the shut-off valve located at the back of the device is turned off;
- Using a wrench, disconnect the water supply located under the door of the refrigeration unit;
- Behind the drawers of freezers you need to find a tank, through the cabinet of the device you need to pull out the disconnected water hoses and remove them;
- A flat screwdriver is inserted into a pair of slots located under the water dispenser cover in the front of the unit, the lower edge of the dispenser cover is disconnected and it is moved upwards in order to remove it from the device;
- The water hoses leading to the dispenser are loosened, a tube is inserted through the door hole, the hoses are removed from the refrigerator;
- All hoses are thoroughly washed with water, the valve parts are carefully inspected and cleaned of blockages, if there are malfunctions in the water supply system, the hoses are changed;
- The valve is replaced and turned on, the hoses are returned to the refrigeration unit and fixed, the water supply is turned on, the power supply to the refrigerator is resumed.
Before proceeding with the self-restoration of the intake valve, carefully inspect the unit and remember the location of all parts that will be removed from the equipment. This will greatly help when installing them in reverse order. It is also necessary to check the tightness of the reconnection of the water supply. If everything is done correctly and the valve is cleared of blockage, then clean water will begin to flow to the icemaker.
Removing a clogged drain
If the drain of the Kenmore refrigerator is clogged, then it is quite simple to understand – the water begins to overflow over the sides of the drain pan and form puddles on the floor. This problem occurs due to excessive ice buildup and requires raising the temperature by unplugging the refrigeration equipment from the mains overnight. You can also start the defrosting mode, but if the coils are also frozen, then there will be little benefit from it. To speed up the process, you can use a household hair dryer or a bucket of hot water – water is poured into the drain tube.
After the ice has completely melted, it is recommended that the drain tube be thoroughly disinfected, then treated with a deodorant. To disinfect the tube, a special solution can be prepared independently. To do this, pour 2 cups of water into any container and add one teaspoon of baking soda, then pour the resulting product into the drain hose. Pour until water begins to seep into the drain pan. To avoid clogging the drain in the future, this procedure must be repeated twice a year.
Incorrect operation of refrigeration equipment
This is the most common and common reason why a Kenmore refrigerator stops making ice cubes. A violation of the stable operation of the refrigeration unit may be a loosely closed door, incorrectly set temperature conditions, or damage to the wiring. To keep your Kenmore refrigeration unit running trouble-free for as long as possible, you just need to follow all the manufacturer’s recommended operating requirements.